Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Be seeing you...

One of my must-see programmes when I was nine years old, was The Prisoner.

It had everything a technophile child could ask for, secret control rooms, the power to fuck around with other people's lives, and lashings of arbitrary authority rampant. If you're on the right side of the equation, what a treat.

This week, I got to see the first episode again and it was jaw dropping. In forty years we've shifted from kafkaesque fantasy to prescience and it made for depressing viewing.

A sealed community where surveillance is absolute, a supervisory elite that controls every move and may demand anything. No tobacco, no alcohol, just healthy pursuits in a pastel, utterly anodyne subtopia; where the only mantra is conform, conform, conform. Hectored by announcements and propaganda at all times through loudspeakers and policed constantly (albeit by a big fuck-off balloon).

Sound familiar?

I will not be filed, indexed, stamped, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

No comments: