Friday, October 09, 2009

And While We're on the Topic

Someone who's had 'a call to action', earlier today














Tom Paine skewers the essential irony of the situation.

There is no other explanation. 1964's laureate - who famously dreamed of men being judged by the content of their character not the colour of their skin - must be spinning in his grave. He wanted to eliminate discrimination, not reverse it


And as someone else observed...


"One does not applaud the tenor for clearing his throat"

La Marquise de Merteuil, 'Dangerous Liaisons'.

5 comments:

James Higham said...

Half the blogosphere has skewered this today.

Mac the Knife said...

James: Just so, but I felt TP's comment was most apposite.

Call me Infidel said...

He joins such illustrious previous winners as Yasser Arafat. Who btw is still dead.

banned said...

Could Obama have saved himself a lot of embarrasment by declining the offer? " Call me again at the end of my 1st term ", something like that.
I'm surprised that, as with the British honours system, prospective winners are not sounded out first.

Mac the Knife said...

"Who btw is still dead."

Thank fuck for that.


"I'm surprised that, as with the British honours system, prospective winners are not sounded out first"

I suspect the awards panel were wanking too furiously to dial the phone.